Business Development Specialist
Illinois Minority Business Development Agency Business Center
The MBDA Business Center Business Development Specialist. The main function of the Business
Development Specialist is to identify, evaluate and design plans that help an organization grow as well
as develop new products, services and lines of businesses to increase and sustain that growth. Growing,
building and increasing the capabilities of an organization is integral to a successful business strategy,
and the business development specialist tracks and monitors the revenue stream for individual products
and services and identifies strategies and tactics for growth, including marketing and sales approaches.
The business development specialist also identifies potential new lines of business based on market
trends and competitor analysis and develops the business case to support moving into a new product,
service or line of business. On a broader scale, the business development specialist also may be involved
in merger, acquisition and affiliation or joint venture strategies of the business.
- Analyzing and expanding business operations toward sustained growth.
- Monitoring revenue streams and identifying opportunities to increase profitability.
- Evaluating and improving sales, marketing, and branding strategies.
- Identifying and developing new lines of business based on consumer behavior.
- Performing competitor analysis toward obtaining an increased market share.
- Developing client relationships and strengthening industry partnerships.
- Identifying new clients by researching and creating networking opportunities.
- Negotiating and closing business deals that promote sustained revenue.
- Liaising with Sales, Marketing, and Management to align strategies aimed at increasing revenue.
- Assessing and advising on potential joint ventures, mergers, and acquisitions.
- Leadership and Negotiation: You’ll be in charge of negotiating vendor contracts, so you must
understand price points and be able to negotiate effectively.
- Previous experience as a Business Development Specialist in a related industry.
- Proficiency in integrated business management and CRM software.
- Advanced knowledge of business development, marketing strategies, and brand expansion.
- Experience in identifying profitable business opportunities and potential clients.
- Exceptional ability to analyze market trends and competitor behavior.
- Ability to maintain strong client relationships and establish industry partnerships.
- Competency in negotiating and closing business deals.
- Ability to advise on possible joint ventures, mergers, and acquisitions.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Quick learner, proactive and self-motivated.
- Organized with the ability to multitask to complete a wide variety of tasks.
- Flexibility to adjust to new tasks should company or office needs change.
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact positively with all employees and clients.
- Attention to detail to ensure tasks are completed thoroughly and correctly.
- Follow-up and follow-through are a priority.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or Marketing, or Economics or similar required.
- Master of Business Administration Degree (MBA) preferred.
- Bilingual – English and Spanish speaker preferred.
- Competitive salary and some health benefits.
This is a full-time position and includes some benefits (Must be flexible and some in-state travel is